Skip to main content


Our journey with extreme preterm baby - Part 4

#PrematurityAwarenssMonth

Our Personal Journey - Part 4

I got shifted to normal ward. Met doctor but not baby. Doctor told we have to wait for 7 days to get confirmation whether my baby will be alive or not for sure with medical complications. OMG 7 days. It was like 7 yrs for us as parent.
After a day of delivery, I was allowed to meet my baby. 24 hrs was like 24 yrs for me. Baby was at ventilator and incubator support immediately after birth.It took 7 days to touch my baby with my one finger inside incubator. How hard it is for a mother to wait for 7 days to touch her baby that too with "only a finger touch"?????( I always had dream of holding my baby immediately after birth like how all mothers usually do after delivery. But all my mother dream went away in air.)He had major Infections.So even mother not allowed to touch him / handle him for his safety till major injections wiped away. We took all precautions each time to enter into NICU ward to see baby.
In Doctors listed as follows and our tiny world shattered into pieces:
1.Klebsiella Pneumonia & other infections
2.Heart Problem - Patent Ductus Ateriosis (PDA) - It is an opening between two blood vessels leading from the heart
3.Respiratory Distress & Apnea - Ventilator & CPAP Support
4.Bilateral Herniotomy - At his "1.5 kg" that, he underwent surgery for the same.
5.Klebsiella Sepsis
6.Anemia (Blood transfusions done couple of times in few weeks of birth itself)
7.And many more to list



My hubby went to office daily from hospital. We rented a room at hospital campus for our undecided/unexpected months of stay there. My mom stayed with me at hospital room just to get food from canteen. Because most of time I be there at NICU ward.
Each day it was nightmare for us. New new medical complications they tell because of extreme preterm birth.

Heavy rain over all Chennai during November 2015(Disaster Flood period). At MIOT hospital few deaths due to "ventilator failure" without power supply. Same time my baby at ramachandra hospital with ventilator support. No power supply anywhere at Tamilnadu. Anytime what happened at MIOT hospital can happen at Ramachandra hosp also right? How it feels for parent??. Each minute, we were thinking about ventilator support. It is death/life game there at NICU for all children dependent on ventilator support. Hospital is in full tension due to MIOT hospital deaths. Ramachandra Hospital tried their best to managed without power supply.We are always thankful for that.
At 28th day they removed ventilator and checked his health condition. He could not able to breath properly. Oxygen levels went down. We also fed up. I felt like my breath got stopped.Again after couple of days, tried without ventilator. He was somewhat OK to manage without Ventilator support.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our journey with extremely preterm baby - Part 1

#PrematurityBirthAwarenessMonth #OurPersonalJourneyWithPretermBaby #Part1 We got married in May, 2013 and got pregnant (I was physically and of course he was mentally) in May 2015. We both always managed the challenges during pregnancy and after that all alone except few emergency hospital admission process. Elders in our family had their own family commitments and problems. So they could not able to support us properly during our preterm journey to till now. Due to both side family problems, I was in much stress during my pregnancy. Me and my hubby supported each other. He was under learning process to support his partner. I was in 5th mnth of pregnancy. Took scan. It was stated as polyhydrominos. We went for doc visit with scan report. Before visiting doc we just googled to know what is polyhydrominos??? It is specified as pre term chances are there. During the doc visit, we raised question as "Doc is there any chances of preterm birth"?. She scolded me stating &q

A journey of an inspiring single parent of visually and intellectually challenged Child.